About Me

Lolo Moku is Crazy Island. That is my family. We are an island, and taking care of this island is a fulltime job. This blog is my outlet. Hope you all enjoy my recipes, fails, and all around views on life. :)

Thursday, January 10, 2013

And so I've been lazy... new recipe to share

Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash


So I have NEVER been a huge fan of squash... seriously. It was one vegetable I wouldn't touch (along with tomatoes, which most will say is a fruit, but whatever). I think it was because my only experience with squash was that yellow one that my Mom used to make me eat...BLECH! But when the hubby has decided to start eating healthy, and has begun to eat vegetables willingly, you indulge a request. He sent me a recipe from Allrecipes one day that was for Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash. I would love to link to it, but it has since disappeared, so only exists in my recipe box. Sounded good...what's not to love about garlic? So I rolled up my sleeves, literally, and decided to give it a try. Now I will warn you that cutting up a butternut squash is no easy feat. Usually my husband does it for me because it requires muscles that I don't have - YET. What we used to do was peel it and then cut it up, but that is SO much work. Easier is to just slice it in rounds and then cut away the skin. 



So cut up a good size squash...I find a little bit bigger chunks work well in this recipe, maybe 1 1/2-2 inch squares. Put these in a bowl, add rest of ingredients and give a really good stir. Then pour into a glass baking dish and bake for 45minutes to an hour. Right towards the end, I put in the Parmesan cheese so it won't burn. And then ENJOY! :)

Recipe for Baked Butternut Squash-

1 large butternut squash
2 TBS parsley (I use dried, but either way)
2 TBS olive oil
2 garlic cloves - minced, grated, whatever you like
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese (I use the shredded kind, but any will do)

Preheat oven to 400. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Put into casserole dish and bake uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour. Probably about 15 minutes to the end, put in the parm. 

Sometimes this can get a little mushy, but still tastes great. The larger cubes seem to work best to keep the mush from coming in, but all depends on preference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment