About Me

Lolo Moku is Crazy Island. That is my family. We are an island, and taking care of this island is a fulltime job. This blog is my outlet. Hope you all enjoy my recipes, fails, and all around views on life. :)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Honey Sesame Chicken (Clean if modified)


Okay, so I have made this recipe before, but just didn't remember it being as AWESOME as it is. This is my oldest child's favorite meal, and he's been doing really great in school, so I decided to make this for him tonight. It tastes even better than I remembered.  May not be the healthiest, but I made it with ingredients from home, so I consider that a success. We buy  that Simply Ketchup that has no high fructose corn syrup (which is one of my least favorite ingredient). I also use honey from the farmer's market. So I am going to just pretend this is healthy.  

It is really easy to put together, so that is always a plus for me. It also goes in the slow cooker, so plus number 2. (I know what you are thinking, but even though I am home all day, I still hate standing in the kitchen for a long time. :) 

Now, I made a lazy change or two, but mostly because a) I was also trying to make my lunch and I was hungry and b)It is easier to use dried minced onions that will disappear than to pick them all off my children's chicken. 

Honey Sesame Chicken
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (or any you prefer)
1 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Ketchup
2 TBS dried minced onions
3 Cloves Garlic, minced (or grated)
1 TBS Avocado Oil (or olive/vegetable, whatever you have)
Several healthy shakes of red pepper flakes
4 tsp cornstarch stirred into 6 TBS water

Sesame seeds for garnish

Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Mix together all other ingredients, except for the sesame seeds, and pour over the chicken. Cook on low for approx 3 hours. Original recipe calls for 3-4, but I went 4 and I think it was probably a little too much. At the end of the cooking time, take the chicken out and add the cornstarch to the liquid in the slow cooker. Cook in the crock for about 10 minutes on high. I did not see a visible difference for this step, but without comparing, I don't want to leave that step out. :) Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite size pieces and put back in slow cooker and stir up. When serving, sprinkle sesame seeds on top. (Now my kids don't like the sesame seeds...no clue why, so I just leave it off theirs)

I served this with brown rice and asparagus. It looks like a lot of rice, but I really just spread it out to make it look fancy. I usually make quinoa, but forgot that I am out until it was too late. :(




2 comments: