About Me

Lolo Moku is Crazy Island. That is my family. We are an island, and taking care of this island is a fulltime job. This blog is my outlet. Hope you all enjoy my recipes, fails, and all around views on life. :)

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Creamed Cauliflower is my FAVORITE! (Cheat)



So I love cauliflower more than any other vegetable..EVER. Seriously, I cannot name another veggie I love more. So I keep trying to come up with new and interesting ways to serve it so my husband doesn't get bored. (Cauliflower is not his favorite ;) )

This recipe is based loosely on my Mom's Cauliflower Soup. It is basically the same theory, only on a smaller scale. It is not extremely low carb because of the milk and flour, but I think you could probably revamp it if you are adventurous with coconut flour and almond milk. If I try it out that way, I will definitely update this entry. :)



Creamed Cauliflower Recipe
1 small head of cauliflower
2 TBSP butter
1 TBSP flour (coconut flour if low carb)
1/2 cup of milk
smallest pinch of nutmeg
salt,pepper,garlic to taste

Boil the florets in a pot of water until mashable.  Put aside, reserving a small amount of water (about 1/2 cup).  Then put the butter into the pot, and melt over medium to medium low heat. When the butter is melted, add the flour, and completely whisk together. Before it can get too clumpy, start adding the milk, alittle at a time, constantly whisking. Once you get all the milk added in, it should be a very thick roux in the pan. Add nutmeg.  At this point, I add a small amount of the cauliflower water until it is the consistency of porridge. Add cauliflower back to pot, and mash until it looks like this:
Not the prettiest, but yummy!

Then start seasoning until it tastes right to you. I hesitate to actually advise on this because to some people it would be way too salty, and to others it would be too bland.  You know your family's tastes, so just add whatever seasonings sound right to you. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment