About Me

Lolo Moku is Crazy Island. That is my family. We are an island, and taking care of this island is a fulltime job. This blog is my outlet. Hope you all enjoy my recipes, fails, and all around views on life. :)

Friday, March 8, 2013

And it's time for Creole... (Healthy modifications)

Shrimp Creole

I have been making this recipe for years.  One of the few things I have been able to make for years and make well. Only problem is, none of the kids like it...actually, I guess that is not a problem. More for me ;) 

There are alot of Shrimp Creole recipes out there, but when I was younger, I wouldn't make any recipe with stewed tomatoes in it, so I adapted the recipes to my picky tastes. I guess I should be a big girl soon and try the normal recipes :) Until then, here you go:

Ingredients
1 TBSP butter (or oil, I guess)
1 medium onion, diced
1 green onion, diced
1 tsp red pepper (or chili powder - whatever you have)
2 (8oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 can of water
1 bay leaf
1 lb Uncooked Shrimp (cocktail shrimp are the best)
   cleaned and deveined

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion and green onion and cook until soft. Add red pepper,  2 cans of tomato sauce and 1 bay leaf, and cook for about 15 minutes all together. Remove bay leaf and add shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink. Now at this point, I decide if it is too runny. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it is not, so it just depends. (on what, I have NO idea). If it is too runny, you can make a paste? of cornstarch and water and then add it to the mixture. I rarely find that it is too runny, but I wanted to add that, just in case. 
You can serve this over rice, unless you are cutting out rice like me, and then you can put it over quinoa or "riced" cauliflower.  I have added a short blog about that too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment